By far the most popular attraction in St. John's is Signal Hill. Standing at the entrance to the Narrows, Signal Hill offers commanding views over the harbor, the city and the nearby ocean. Therefore, it was the site of military defenses from the 17th century through to World War II.
It was also the site of the last battle of the French and Indian War. A French force that had captured the city in 1762, surrendered to a British force.
To commemorate, Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee and the 400th anniversary of John Cabot's discovery of Newfoundland, Cabot Tower was erected on Signal Hill. Flag signals were sent from the masts atop this Gothic-looking structure.
In another building on Signal Hill (no longer in existence) Guglielmo Marconi received the first wireless transatlantic telegraph message.
Further down Signal Hill is the Johnson Geo Centre, a geology museum.
St. John's has several large, impressive churches. The Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (above) was begun in 1839 and completed in 1855. At one time, the largest church building in North America, it was built of bluestone quarried from Signal Hill.
The Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (above right) was begun in 1847. Designed in the Gothic style, it occupies a site where some seven previous churches stood. It was severely damaged in the Great Fire of 1892.
Also damaged in the Great Fire was the original St. Andrews Presbyterian Church. Therefore, it was re-built in red brick (right).
Cruise destination profile - St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada - overview