Placa d' Espana lies at the base of Montjuic. Once a place of execution, the current plaza was designed by Josep Amagos for the 1929 International Exhibition.
On the northern side of the plaza is the Arenas de Barcelona, the city's bullring, constructed between 1889 and 1900. Bull fighting is now banned and the last bull fight at the Arena took place in 1977. After years of laying empty, the Arena was transformed into a domed shopping center. The top level offers panoramic views of the city.
In the center of the plaza is a large fountain. It was designed by Josep Maria Jugol, who was influenced by Gaudi.
On the southern side of the plaza are two 154 foot towers. These were inspired by the Campanile in Venice. They were created for the 1929 International Exhibition and act as a gateway for an avenue leading up to Montjuic where much of the exhibition was held.
Above: The bullring prior to its conversion to a shopping center.
Below: The Venetian Towers.
Above: The Columbus Monument.
Cruise destination - Barcelona, Spain - Attractions - page 3